What is a mammogram?
An X-ray picture of the breast got from the machine is a mammogram. Doctors use the process to look for the early signs of breast cancer in an individual. Mammography is the best procedure through which doctors can find early signs of breast cancer. It is the best way of detecting cancer as early as possible for better treatment.
How is a mammogram screening done?
Several steps are followed while performing mammogram screening.
- The patient is made to stand in front of a mammogram X-ray machine.
- A technologist places the breast on the plate of the machine. With the help of another plate, the technologist tries to keep the breast still.
- The same step is repeated with the other breast side, and the X-ray is taken.
- The technologists will take four X-rays to make sure pictures are taken properly or not.
- Every mammogram is different, so the pictures are also different. They are given to the doctor for further treatment.
What does having a mammogram feel like?
Every woman has a different experience; for some, the mammogram procedure is uncomfortable, and for some, the procedure is painful. The process of mammograms is for a few moments only though the patients can feel discomfort in this short time. The feeling also depends on the skills of technologists. The size of the breasts and how much pressure is put on them also matter a lot. The radiologists read the mammograms and tell the signs of cancer or other problems with the help of the X-ray.
What happens if the mammogram is abnormal for a patient?
An abnormal mammogram screening image doesn’t necessarily mean that the patient has cancer. There are several other reasons which lead to abnormal X-ray reports. To confirm cancer mammogram is not only seen. There are several more tests done to ensure it. If the mammogram is abnormal, the doctors send the patients to the breast experts, who diagnose the problems and provide better solutions.
Mammogram screening is how a person gets an idea about breast cancer. The doctors know at what stage cancer has reached and how much infection is present with this. It is the best way to see the symptoms in the breasts. If one wants to go through this process, they can search for mammogram screening in Morristown, NJ, for proper treatment.